Architects Si - Z

Click on the Tabs for More Information

 

Featured Architect – Irene Von Horvath

 

One of only three women architects who received Queens Chamber Building Awards during this period, Irene Von Horvath studied architecture at what is now Carnegie Mellon University, joining the first coed class. She then established her architecture firm in Princeton where she had lived when she was younger. The building she helped design, Bestform Foundations, was honored in 1952. She was listed as a co-architect with the firm of Rahman and Astor. Von Horvath had done drafting work for Robert Rahman from 1943-48 so the pairing on this project makes sense. However she left Princeton a year after the Bestform project and on her listing in the 1956 American Architects Directory, this building is her only listed New York-area work. Settling in New Mexico, Von Horvath made her name as a prominent member of the local planning commission and passionate advocate for preserving the architecture and landscape of the city. She spent the rest of her life there and died in 2007.

Sources:

American Architects Directory, First Edition, 1956. Copyright 1956 R. R. Bowker LLC.

“Irene Von Horvath” Sante Fe Living Treasures <http://sflivingtreasures.org/index.php/treasures/124-von-horvath-irene-.html>

 

 

Architects:      A – B   C – F     G – K  L – N   O – Sh     Si – Z

Arthur Silver
Harry Silverman

Photo and text….

Oscar Silverstone

Content

Max M. Simon
Sirof and Silvertsen
Skidmore Owings and Merrill
George J. Sole
Dudley E. Soper
Charles M. Spindler
Julius Stein
Donald J. Steingisser
Stickle and Associates

Stickle and Associates was a prolific designer of ecclesiastical buildings mostly Catholic schools. The firm was based in Cleveland, OH but is well represented in Pennsylvania and New York as well. The majority of the firm’s work took place from 1950 until 1966 when the firm dissolved.

Edward Durell Stone
Structural Engineering Bureau of Con Edison
Donald M. Swiller

Donald Swiller was responsible for at least two buildings designed with his father George Swiller.

George W. Swiller

George Swiller was a Bronx-based architect who founded his firm in 1920. He designed tenements, office buildings and commercial and industrial structures. He is also listed as designing at least two hospital buildings in New York City.

Sylvania Electrical Products
William B. Tabler

William Tabler’s background included an architecture degree from Harvard and four years as an architect with the renowned Holabird and Root. He opened his own firm in 1946. Based on his list of works he seems to have been one of the architects of record for the Statler Hotel chain, designing the branches in Dallas (55), Hartford (54) and Los Angeles (52). Many of these have since been demolished. Hilton bought the Statler empire in 1954.

Edgar Tafel
Andrew J. Thomas
Tippetts Abbett McCarthy and Stratton
Joseph A. Trapani
Vito J. Tricarico and Associates
Irene Von Horvath

One of only three women architects who received Queens Chamber Awards during this period, Irene Von Horvath studied architecture at what is now Carnegie Mellon University, joining the first coed class. She then established her architecture firm in Princeton where she had lived when she was younger. However she left Princeton a year after this building was completed and made her name in Sante Fe as a prominent member of the local planning commission and advocate for preserving the architecture and landscape of the city. She spent the rest of her life there and died in 2007.

Voorhees Walker Foley and Smith
Walter Kidde Construction
Herbert H. Warman
Wax Associates
Werfel and Berg
Weschsler and Schimenti
Don and Martyn Weston
Martyn N. Weston
Wuest and Bailey
Carl Wuest
York and Sawyer
H. Shalat
Sharp and Handren
Rose Ann Shearin
William L. Shenton
Shreve Lamb and Harmon Associates

Search