This firm, in existence from 1961-1976, completed dozens of Jewish centers across New York City and Long Island, as well as schools, commercial buildings, animal hospitals, and apartment buildings. A well maintained archive of Stanley Rosenberg at New York Historical Society allows an examination of one of these smaller, regional firms who helped design the public face of mid-century Long Island, but did not reach the upper echelon of New York City’s architectural elite. As with many firms of the era, Jewish-led firms tended to work more frequently outside of Manhattan, especially in the areas that grew substantially after World War II with new waves of Jewish residents.
Rosenberg was born in New York City in 1923 and studied at Brooklyn College, followed by Columbia University’s School of Architecture. He received his degree and license in 1952 and apprenticed at a number of firms before landing his first partnership. Not much is known about Rosenberg’s first partnership, Sirof, Rosenberg & Sivertsen, which does not appear in the AIA Directories of the era, despite its substantial output between 1955-1961. Significant projects include the Ardsley Hotel of 1957, claimed to be the first fully fireproof motel in New York State ; the Business Professions Building of 1959, a speculative office building designed and owned by the firm ; and the Eastwood Village development in Centereach, which received a Homes for Better Living Award from the Technical Bulletin of the Producers Council .
In 1961, Rosenberg formed a partnership with Alvin Hausman (1923-2005). The firm’s body of work included residences, office buildings, hotels, and dozens of gleaming commercial showrooms for businesses across the city. Also existing are at least two dozen modest synagogues and yeshivas for towns like Elmont, Merrick, Ellenville, and Scarsdale, as well as several in Queens and Brooklyn . The modern designs are typically brick faced with exterior Judaica and stained glass. Many of the designs are low buildings with fewer windows, creating a bunker-like appearance. But others show a wider range, such as the proposed Forest Park Jewish Center, with twin two-story octagonal volumes with large expanses of glass. Not all of the designs were built as proposed or at all, possibly due to the costs associated.
The firm’s reputation grew regardless, with published articles on school construction and store modernization. In 1966, Yeshiva University’s Community Service Division announced a formal partnership with Hausman & Rosenberg, who were contracted to provide free architectural consultations to congregations affiliated with the University for such needs as school buildings, lobbies, and playgrounds .
The two buildings for which the firm won Queens Chamber Building Awards however were not synagogues. Cryder House (1963), a 20-story shoreline apartment tower in Whitestone, is a prominent local landmark towering over its surroundings and when built included a private restaurant, underground parking, a private beach, and mooring for residents’ boats. The other, an industrial plant in Laurelton for Vitarine Pharmaceutical Company (1964), is a modest one story facility on an access road just off the Belt Parkway. The firm’s most well-known building is likely their Lincoln Square Synagogue, constructed in 1970 as part of the major urban renewal area. The curved building, clad in white travertine marble, was demolished in 2015.
As Stanley Rosenberg
Blue Store Hotel, La Plata MD, 1953
Leban Residence, Hollywood FL, 1953
Beach Hill Residences, Beach Hill NY, 1954
Glasser Building, Brooklyn NY, 1954
Hotel La Guardia, Elmhurst NY, 1954
Monaco Surf Club, Lido Beach, NY, 1954
Azalea Inn, Norfolk VA, 1955
Gold Building, Hempstead NY, 1955
Canon Camera Office and Showroom, NYC, 1956
Mack Residence, Kings Point NY, 1956
East Harlem Day Center for Older Persons (alteration), NYC, 1956
As Sirof Rosenberg Sivertsen
Ardsley Motel, Ardsley NY, 1957
Kingsbridge Center of Israel, Riverdale NY, c. 1957
Chapel Education Wing, Stewart Air Force Base, Newburgh NY, 1958
Sewage Treatment Plant & Barracks, Camp Hero, Montauk Point NY, 1958
Business Professions Building, NYC, 1959
Hodson Community Center, Bronx NY, c. 1960
As Hausman & Rosenberg
Beth Jacob of Borough Park, Brooklyn NY, 1962
Auto Thrill Show Pavillion at World’s Fair, Corona NY, 1964
Hellsdriver Exhibit at World’s Fair, Corona NY, 1964
Vitarine Pharmaceutical Company, Laurelton NY, 1964
Castle Hill Jewish Community Center, Bronx NY, c. 1964
Eleanor Roosevelt Houses, Brooklyn NY, 1965
Steinway & Sons Building 87, Astoria NY, 1965
Yeshiva Torah Vodaath & Mesvita Dormitory, Brooklyn NY, 1965
Congregation Sons of Israel addition (not built), Yonkers NY, 1965
River Plaza, Bronx NY, 1966
Steinway & Sons Building 94, Astoria NY, 1966
Lido Beach Apartments, Lido Beach NY, 1967
Hillcrest Nursing Home, Spring Valley NY, 1969
Middle Island Veterinary Hospital, Centereach NY, 1969
Greenpoint Public Library, Brooklyn NY, 1970
Dune Deck Hotel, Westhampton Beach NY, 1970
Garden Jewish Center, Flushing NY, 1970
Sutton Plaza, NYC, 1970
Ellenville Jewish Center, Ellenville NY, c. 1970
Forest Park Jewish Center, Woodhaven NY, c. 1970
Greystone Jewish Center, Yonkers NY, c. 1970
Max and Rose Heller Hebrew Academy, Flushing NY, c. 1970
Young Israel of Scarsdale, Scarsdale NY, c. 1970
Goldwater Memorial Hospital addition, Roosevelt Island NY, 1971
- Review Press and Reporter (Bronxville, NY). 30 May 1957. Fultonhistory.com. Web.
- “Architects Take Turn As Their Own Builders.” The New York Times. 25 July 1959. Web.
- Technical Bulletin, The Producer’s Council, Inc. December 1957.
- Box 4, Folders 95-97. The Stanley R. Rosenberg Architectural Records 1952-1985, New-York Historical Society.