Douglaston Sub-station

Address: Northern Boulevard and 244th Street
Neighborhood: Douglaston
Architect:  Structural Engineering Bureau of Con Edison
Year: 1952
Current Status: Extant
Award:  Honorable Mention
Typology:  Other

This honorable mention is mostly a minimally landscaped plot. Con Edison used evergreen trees and shrubs to shield the substation equipment from the surrounding residential neighborhood. Today the evergreens have grown substantially with no branches at the bottom, making the equipment considerably more visible behind smaller shrubbery. In addition, the neighborhood has continued to expand, with houses and a later mid-century Jewish Center directly abutting the Con Ed property. This makes the need to hide this equipment possibly less of a necessity than when the area was more remote and bucolic.

Douglaston Sub-station

Search