School & Convent, Our Lady of Mount Carmel R. C. Church
Address: 23rd Street, Astoria Boulevard, and Newtown Avenue
Neighborhood: Long Island City
Architect: Boegel, William J.
Current Status: Extant
Award: Honorable Mention
Typology: Religious Building
Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Church dates from 1873 and had an elaborate French Gothic facade added in 1915 to designs of Thomas Henry Poole. The large school and convent next door however are comparitively fairly restrained. Both buildings are clad in yellow brick and have minimal detailing. Architect William Boegel tended to keep his designs somewhat spartan or traditional. The main decoration on the school (now covered by contemporary signage) is a large cross over the entrance, rising two stories in limestone.