St. Mel’s Auditorium

[doptg id=”138″]

Address: 28-20 154th Street
Neighborhood: Flushing
Architect:  Beatty and Berlenbach
Year: 1955
Current Status: Extant
Award:  Bronze Plaque for Public Buildings
Typology:  Religious Building

Sometimes building campaigns fall short or parish needs change. St. Mel’s Auditorium was built for the neighboring St. Mel’s School as a 900-seat gathering space over a 400-seat basement cafeteria. Today St. Mel’s Auditorium is St. Mel’s Church and the auditorium serves as the main sanctuary, complete with contemporary stained glass. A metallic steeple has been added on top of the flat roof of the auditorium.

St. Mel's Auditorium

Learn About the Architect