Francisco and Jacobus | Bronze Plaque for Industrial | Extant | Maspeth | Industrial Building | 1967 |
The entrance to this expansive facility is at ground level through a parking structure. The rest of the complex rises above on a slight hill above 56th Road. While undoubtably state of the art at the time, there is not much to understand stylisticly about the plant, which is mostly a set of various one-story boxes housing the various functions of the plant. Even the subtle design of the garage entrance with curved pilasters has been removed and replaced with a standard utilitarian feel.
Salkowitz, A. H. | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Forest Hills | Apartment Building | 1959 |
Warner House is one of numerous rather interchangeable red brick apartment buildings in Forest Hills that received an award. The The E-shaped building is six stories and includes a central entrance faced in black marble. The building sits on a slope with access to a parking garage at one end of the site. The architect A. H. Salkowitz also won an honorable mention for a white brick apartment building on Queens Boulevard, The Diplomat, completed the same year.
Wuest and Bailey | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Long Island City | Bank | 1956 |
The simple brick and glass facade of this branch is of Astoria Federal is still extant although extended another lot along the streetwall. The interior originally featured a large mural of Manhattan. The award program specifically calls out Muzak as a special feature, undoubtably a rarity this time.
Samuel Paul and Seymour Jarmul | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Forest Hills | Apartment Building | 1965 |
These striking towers stand out from the red brick apartment houses in Forest Hills. Instead of the usual, here we get 3 30-story buildings in tan brick with curvilinear baconies stretching across the main facade fronted by blue glass railings. There is also underground parking and an above ground swimming pool surrounded by an eye-catching blue and yellow patterned patio. The buildings were given the names The Bel Air, the Toledo, and The Kyoto with each one having lobbies that originally referenced the buildings name in an over the top decor. An unusual and still elegant response to luxury housing in Forest Hills.