Salkowitz, A. H. | Honorable Mention | Extant | Forest Hills | Apartment Building | 1959 |
The Diplomat was one of the first white brick apartment houses in Queens and stands out among the more prevalent red brick towers of Forest Hills. As with many of the apartment towers going up at this time, the aim was to provide the latest amenities and the real estate brochure for the Diplomat lists more than 30 features, from a roofdeck and garden to Venetian blinds for all windows. The architect, A. H. Salkowitz, was known for his apartment designs so it makes sense he was chosen here, although the Diplomat was quickly surpassed by larger and most costly apartment buildings as the 60s progressed.
Heller, Simeon with Meltzer, George J. | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Significantly Altered | Flushing | Bank | 1968 |
This bank branch is currently vacant and has been completely reclad in 90s era ceramic tiles. A simple structure incorporated into an existing commercial row, the building was originally identified by a facade of precast aggregate panels and a large bay of windows that looked onto the banking floor.
Salminen, Carl H. | Honorable Mention | Demolished | Flushing | Office Building | 1961 |
This branch of the Red Cross received a rehabilitation honorable mention for this simple brick box fronted by an oversized Colonial Revival white columned entrance portico. The six over six sash windows and the doorway with broken pediment surround added to the historicist design. It has been replaced by a large brick apartment building.
Halsey McCormack and Helmer | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Floral Park | Bank | 1957 |
A traditional Georgian Revival bank building by a firm known for its bank design. The Awards program is surprisingly amusing in its description of the design stating “…the Richmond Hill Savings Bank tends to exert a subtle influence of traditional New Englad morality and sound character in this Queens community.” It goes on further to state “…it presents a charming picture which, in a quiet way, may serve to temper any tendencies toward extremes of architecture in future neighborhood construction.
Meissner, A. F. | Bronze Plaque for Commercial | Extant | Rego Park | Commercial Building | 1955 |
Here A. F. Meissner expanded on his previous Richmond Hill branch, designing a larger, slightly curved facility at a prominent but difficult intersection. Like the earlier branch, the building uses stone veneer, limestone trim, concrete, brick, and other material to denote a new, modern building. The branch is relatively unchanged since its construction including interior wood panelling, glass and metal details, and the original wood frame addition specified by the architect on the plans.