Miller, George C. | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Beechhurst | Apartment Building | 1954 |
Located immediately adjacent to the taller and later Cryder House and facing the much larger complex of Levitt House, these three massive six story buildings hold 325 apartments on a small percentage of the overall 9 acre site. There is also a private beach and boat dock. The buildings look similar to the adjacent Levitt House complex, also designed by Queens-based architect George Miller.
Miller, George C. | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Whitestone | Apartment Building | 1957 |
This major housing complex is largely unknown outside of Queens, tucked away as it is on the waterfront in Whitestone. Comprising more than 3,000 apartments over 32 buildings, originally there were four apartments per floor on each building meaning that each apartment had a corner terrace. The campus also includes swimming pools, tennis courts, a beach, and other recreation facilities.
Hausman and Rosenberg | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Whitestone | Apartment Building | 1963 |
The last major development of a community on this curve of land in Whitestone, along with Cryder Point Apartments and Levitt House, this 20 story building dominates the shoreline. The building includes a wide curving entrance canopy, glass terraces, and a private beach to take advantage of the location and only occupies 10% of the expansive site. Privacy is a distinct consideration with a gatehouse, on property parking, and a brick wall surrounding the property. Hausman & Rosenberg were chosen for this last piece while George Miller did the lower-rise adjoining developments.
Salkowitz, A. H. | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Forest Hills | Apartment Building | 1959 |
Warner House is one of numerous rather interchangeable red brick apartment buildings in Forest Hills that received an award. The The E-shaped building is six stories and includes a central entrance faced in black marble. The building sits on a slope with access to a parking garage at one end of the site. The architect A. H. Salkowitz also won an honorable mention for a white brick apartment building on Queens Boulevard, The Diplomat, completed the same year.
Samuel Paul and Seymour Jarmul | Bronze Plaque for Apartments | Extant | Forest Hills | Apartment Building | 1965 |
These striking towers stand out from the red brick apartment houses in Forest Hills. Instead of the usual, here we get 3 30-story buildings in tan brick with curvilinear baconies stretching across the main facade fronted by blue glass railings. There is also underground parking and an above ground swimming pool surrounded by an eye-catching blue and yellow patterned patio. The buildings were given the names The Bel Air, the Toledo, and The Kyoto with each one having lobbies that originally referenced the buildings name in an over the top decor. An unusual and still elegant response to luxury housing in Forest Hills.