St. Sebastian’s R. C. ChurchBoegel, William J. | Bronze Plaque for Rehabilitation | Extant | Woodside | 1955 |
This rehabilitation was truly unusual, consisting of altering the former Loews Woodside Theatre into a new Roman Catholic church. The building sits on Roosevelt Avenue facing the elevated train line with a prominent entrance courtyard, containing the original Chamber of Commerce building plaque. The facade is now definitively Northern Italian, but the side of the building with the staircase alludes to its former role as a theater. The interior space contains no columns so that the room appears even larger than its 1,500 person capacity.