The Diplomat was one of the first white brick apartment houses in Queens and stands out among the more prevalent red brick towers of Forest Hills. As with many of the apartment towers going up at this time, the aim was to provide the latest amenities and the real estate brochure for the Diplomat lists more than 30 features, from a roofdeck and garden to Venetian blinds for all windows. The architect, A. H. Salkowitz, was known for his apartment designs so it makes sense he was chosen here, although the Diplomat was quickly surpassed by larger and most costly apartment buildings as the 60s progressed.
This branch of the Red Cross received a rehabilitation honorable mention for this simple brick box fronted by an oversized Colonial Revival white columned entrance portico. The six over six sash windows and the doorway with broken pediment surround added to the historicist design. It has been replaced by a large brick apartment building.
More than one residence of the Romorini Family won Queens Chamber of Commerce Awards, but this one is no longer extant. Largely altered at this time of this survey, the standard two story house with attached garage was gutted down to the frame and the brick, stone, and wood facade removed. The property exists on a quiet cul de sac abutting the campus of the Queens Chamber award-winner Cathedral College.
This branch of the Jamaica National Bank is a limestone block clad box with simple details including patterned panels under the windows, a metal framed entrance vestibule, and a stone veneer retaining wall. The building is oriented to face a triangular green space replete with flagpole.
Junior HS 216 is a standard mid-1950s design–tan brick exterior, metal framed windows, flat roof, and minimal detailing. The one design feature to call out in the panels of dark red polished granite between the windows and around some entrance ways. The designer, Eric Kebbon, was architect of the NYC Board of Education from 1938 to 1952 so this design was most likely one of his last for the school system. All of his designs follow a similar pattern and more than a hundred examples exist across the city. After the early 50s, more public schools came to be designed by more prominent NYC-based and national firms.