Sadly this building, a little Miesian box in Queens Village, is no more. It is unclear when it was vanished but today the building is covered in huge awnings and houses a fruit and vegetable seller, although the framework of the building may exist under all that.
Judging from the award program image, Simeon Heller’s Flushing Medical Building was a simple two-story brick box with a raised entrance and parking at the rear. The structure held 12 offices. Not only did Heller design the building but he was also most likely the owner, hidden behind the name 42-27 Union Street Corporation, which was based out of his architecture office at 38-11 Union Street. The building was demolished sometime in the past few decades and subsequently became a parking lot.
This building addressed the issue of inserting a mixed use into a residential neighborhood. The structure, which housed both a residence and medical office had the character of a low ranch structure facing north to allow light to enter the examination and operating rooms. The building had a low hipped roof and a facade of brick and stone. It was demolished in approximately 2001 and the site is now filled by multifamily attached housing. Coincidentally, there is a similar building immediately nearby, the award-winning 1959 residence of Dr. Elmer Kestler, which also addresses the same issue and remains largely intact.