Halsey McCormack and Helmer | Honorable Mention | Significantly Altered | Rego Park | Bank | 1952 |
This building still exists although its original use as a bank is no longer apparent. While the structure maintains its granite base, brick face, and limestone trim, the space is now used by a pharmacy and karate studio, both of whom have obscured the front with signage. Another telltale sign of the original building are two limestone medallions on either end of the facade.
Raymond Irrera Associates | Bronze Plaque for Public Buildings | Extant | Queens Village | Public Building | 1952 |
The Queens Village branch of the Queens Public Library features a concrete structure clad in brick, limestone and granite with aluminum windows and doors. Architectural detailing is relegated to the area around the entrance– originally the Seal of New York was featured above the door, but was subsequently removed. When originally built a low decorative fence, most likely of aluminum, surrounded the property. This has been replaced with a tall, imposing iron fence.
Von Horvath, Irene | Bronze Plaque for Industrial | Significantly Altered | Long Island City | Industrial Building | 1952 |
Bestform Foundations building sits in Woodside on the border of an industrial and residential zone. Because of this, the building originally used colored brickface and glass windows to give the impression of a school rather than an industrial facility. Today the building is readily visible in form, although completely covered in the orange and blue vinyl branding of a Storage Deluxe building. Most notable is the existing second floor penthouse, which originally housed executive offices above the first floor factory. This is also one of three award winners designed in part by a female architect. Here Irene Von Horvath was part of the team, in her early career before relocating to the Southwest.