Burns, John Stuart with Salkowitz, A. H. | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Woodside | Bank | 1960 |
The Woodside Savings and Loan is now an Astoria Federal Savings and the clock adorning the white enameled brick end pier is different but otherwise this building is largely the same. The front facade consists of a large two story wall of glass with white enamel brick and porcelain panel accents. The planting area originally to the right of the entrance seems to be gone; parking is in the rear.
Kirchman and Bassuk | Honorable Mention | Demolished | Long Island City | Office Building | 1959 |
Unfortunately this moody but handsome building was demolished in 2013 just before this project started. A new, much taller building is taking this corner site off of Queens Plaza and several other Queens Modern winners nearby have also been lost in recent years. The award winning rectilinear structure was built on a sloping corner moving from two to three stories including basement and clad in striking black enamel brick and a brassy colored metal framing system running down one side of the building.
Fellheimer and Wagner | Bronze Plaque for Schools and Colleges | Extant | Jamaica | School or College | 1959 |
Designed by major architectural firm Fellheimer & Wagner toward the end of its existence, this mid-century school has some unusual and engaging elements including a rounded, U-shaped central classroom space and bold blue terra cotta panels decorating the entrance areas. According to the Chamber of Commerce description, the building rambles over a sloping 8 1/2 acre site and is built of reinforced concrete and steel, partially to accommodate the weight of industrial equipment typical in a vocational school. The other major exterior elements are brick, steel windows and aluminum detailing around the entrance. The lower-rise portions of the building also feature angled roofs which give the entire structure an element of energy.
Earne, Theodore R. | Bronze Plaque for Residences | Extant | Flushing | Residence | 1959 |
Dr. Kestler’s residence is one of several mixed use sites featured on Queens Modern and still serving as both a medical office and residence today. The building is built into a sloping corner hillside so that the medical office is approachable at grade from the main thoroughfare of Crocheron Avenue while the residential entrance is on the second level, hidden from street view and accessible from the side street. Building materials include brick, stone and wood shingles. The overall feeling is one of horizontality and melding well within the landscape.
Clark, George W. | Honorable Mention | Extant | Flushing | Bank | 1959 |
This low-rise bank branch sits on an oddly shaped lot bordering residential Flushing. It consists of a one-story brick pavilion and two-story larger pavilion sitting at angles to each other, giving the structure a dynamic quality. The neat brick and aluminum facade makes for a pleasing composition and both parts of the building contain considerable window area. The building remains in good condition.