This building still exists although its original use as a bank is no longer apparent. While the structure maintains its granite base, brick face, and limestone trim, the space is now used by a pharmacy and karate studio, both of whom have obscured the front with signage. Another telltale sign of the original building are two limestone medallions on either end of the facade.
The J. A. Brudermann and Sons building is most likely the smallest building to receive a Queens Chamber award. The size of a small garage, the masonry structure was built for a plumbing supply company. The structure still exists today but has most likely never been noted as an award-winning building by passersby.
Immaculate Conception Church remains a presence in this part of Astoria–its sprawling complex includes school buildings, a convent, and rectory. The church alone received this award for its prominent corner building with striking bell tower. The parish dates back to 1924, created to address the booming Catholic population in Astoria. Originally services were held in the school building’s basement. Ground was broken for the new church in 1949. McGill was a prolific church architect and a favorite of the Brooklyn Diocese at this time.
This building still stands although completely altered and serving a retail use. It was built as a distribution center for several of Republic Steel Corporation’s subsidiaries. The image from the program book shows a two-story warehouse with factory style windows on both levels and what looks to be concrete framing around the window banks and entrance area. The building was completely fireproof. It was altered around 1997 as a big-box type establishment and sits among numerous similar retail outlets.