Stickle and Associates were a prominent Cleveland-based firm responsible for Catholic schools across the country. Mater Christi might be one of their best locally, sited in a quiet area of Astoria, and featuring two massive wings to hold separate high schools for boys and girls. The top floor originally held faculty housing for the Sisters of Mercy and De La Salle Christian Brothers. Brick, limestone and black granite compose the architectural details with black and gold mosaic panels around the entrance. Not mentioned in the awards summary but equally interesting are the decorative crests that line the ends of each wing closest to street level. The school merged with St. John’s Preparatory School in 1980 and continues as a private school today.
Immaculate Conception Church remains a presence in this part of Astoria–its sprawling complex includes school buildings, a convent, and rectory. The church alone received this award for its prominent corner building with striking bell tower. The parish dates back to 1924, created to address the booming Catholic population in Astoria. Originally services were held in the school building’s basement. Ground was broken for the new church in 1949. McGill was a prolific church architect and a favorite of the Brooklyn Diocese at this time.