The Balfour is essentially two separate brick apartment complexes tied together with a one story entrance wing in the middle. Built to serve a more luxury clientele, the complex is well-maintained and incorporates amply open space covering 60% of the site. The brick-clad, six-story apartment buildings have minimal exterior detailing but originally boasted a host of modern conveniences inside. The Cord Meyer Development Company developed this and several other Queens Chamber Award winners during this era.
Yellowstone Park is built on a sloping hillside amidst the apartment buildings of Forest Hills. At the base of the hill is the playground and larger recreational areas, while more passive spaces rise above. The design of the park uses curving ramps and retaining walls throughout to break up the steep slope into more informal areas. According to Ann Butter, who worked on the park, one lawn area was designed around a singular existing tree, now gone. However many of the existing plantings such as birch and hemlock trees still remain an integral part of the park, In addition, Ms. Butter noted the involvement of prominent landscape architect Clara Coffey in the design of Yellowstone Park.
Kennedy House was seen as the height of fashion when it was built and today still retains cache for its high end amenities and stringent board. It was designed by the prolific Philip Birnbaum and was the tallest building in the borough when completed, at 34 stories. It is set back at an angle to Queens Boulevard, taking up less than 25% of the entire site with a wide entrance drive that originally included reflecting pools. The lobby is double-height and includes an enormous chandelier, original to the building. There is a rooftop swimming pool and apartments have large smoked-glass balconies.
The Pickman Building, named for its prominent local developer, is a six-story corporate style office complex with underground parking, office space, and retail space. Although the exact reason for its construction is unclear, its proximity to Queensborough Hall and other municipal offices most likely played a role. The exterior is of glazed white and blue brick with aluminum trim and ribbon style windows. The striking entrance is surrounded by porcelain and marble with the building name displayed in metal lettering.
This convent fits well into the larger Gothic Revival religious complex of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs. The school dates from 1929, the church itself from 1939. All have stone facades with slate roofs, giving a unified appearance. The convent’s principal facade faces into the complex and is situated next to the rectory. It can be recognized by the large statue of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs inside a niche. The convent was originally designed for up to 24 Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. As with many secondary religious buildings from this time such as monasteries and convents, it is unclear if this is still serves the same purpose today.