This two story pale brick elevator company building has subtle brick designs and simple angles that make it seem like it could date from the early 1940s instead of the late 50s. It is very dissimilar to the larger Armor Elevator headquarters built three years later or even the Otis Elevator building built the same year, both of which evoke their period more typically.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Church dates from 1873 and had an elaborate French Gothic facade added in 1915 to designs of Thomas Henry Poole. The large school and convent next door however are comparitively fairly restrained. Both buildings are clad in yellow brick and have minimal detailing. Architect William Boegel tended to keep his designs somewhat spartan or traditional. The main decoration on the school (now covered by contemporary signage) is a large cross over the entrance, rising two stories in limestone.
Thypin Steel is still in business within this massive structure, its signage on the roof visible from the nearby elevated highway. The building is a massive open interior space for handling steel. In one corner, offices and other smaller spaces are built within the larger shape.
This three-story warehouse is clad in a glazed brick and framed by the concrete supports. The minimal windows are aluminum with bronze glass. With its restrained entrance incorporating white marble or granite panels, it could be mistaken for a school or office building. Its location between two roadways of different heights means that vehicles can enter the rooftop parking lot and third floor from the rear access road. Today it is used, at least partially, as the New York Public Library Services Center.
The front facade of this community center is dominated by a tiled mosaic in bright oranges and reds above the entrance and fronting a center stairhall. The rest of the exterior is tan brick with limestone trim. The award program also claims the building featured a motorized assembly hall, an unusual descriptor that could possibly refer to the ability to alter the space to serve other purposes.