This branch of the Jamaica National Bank is a limestone block clad box with simple details including patterned panels under the windows, a metal framed entrance vestibule, and a stone veneer retaining wall. The building is oriented to face a triangular green space replete with flagpole.
Junior HS 216 is a standard mid-1950s design–tan brick exterior, metal framed windows, flat roof, and minimal detailing. The one design feature to call out in the panels of dark red polished granite between the windows and around some entrance ways. The designer, Eric Kebbon, was architect of the NYC Board of Education from 1938 to 1952 so this design was most likely one of his last for the school system. All of his designs follow a similar pattern and more than a hundred examples exist across the city. After the early 50s, more public schools came to be designed by more prominent NYC-based and national firms.
This bank branch is located as just one storefront in a much larger shopping center along the Cross Island Parkway. While much of the retail space reads as contemporary, the bank space still has some marble cladding at the storefront level and some original metal detailing as well.
Now demolished, the Leroy Adams Residence was built to highlight the increasing need for residential construction for low and middle income families. Built on a small lot, the house was incredibly basic, a concrete slab base, 4 1/2 rooms with additional attic space, a shingle exterior, and asphalt shingle roof. The original sale price was $9,750. Today the site includes a slightly larger more recent structure, although two houses away still exists a small dwelling that could be the Leroy Adams Residence’s twin.
Currently being replaced by a large new school, the three story brick administrative building originally housed 1,000 employees. The design was typical of the 50s and included exterior facing of red brick with limestone trim, and aluminum windows. Countless schools, libraries, and other public buildings incorporated the exact same elements. The architects Voorhees Walker Foley & Smith were the exclusive architects for NY Telephone, adapting whatever style of the era to suit the needs of the massive company.