St. Agnes is one of William Boegel’s more contemporary designs featuring a facade of buff brick and pale green enamel panels. Boegel tended toward historicist elements on his churches and schools, employing Tudor or Gothic Revival design. Here, the school is modern and square and the main decoration is a striking, curved entranceway of red polished granite topped by a large limestone cross that sits at the roofline. The complex includes amenities typical to a school of this era including an auditorium (entered from a separate wing), gymnasium, and state of the art classrooms. The older convent sits to the south of the school and according to the awards program, passage was provided internally for the nuns to go from convent directly into the school.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Church dates from 1873 and had an elaborate French Gothic facade added in 1915 to designs of Thomas Henry Poole. The large school and convent next door however are comparitively fairly restrained. Both buildings are clad in yellow brick and have minimal detailing. Architect William Boegel tended to keep his designs somewhat spartan or traditional. The main decoration on the school (now covered by contemporary signage) is a large cross over the entrance, rising two stories in limestone.
St. Gregory’s Auditorium is an addition to St. Gregory the Great School, itself founded in 1953. The school faces 87th Avenue but the auditorium faces a service road of Cross Island Parkway and an embankment of the parkway itself. The building’s design uses traditional materials of red brick. limestone trim, and Vermont slate on the roof. The building’s name is inscribed above the entrance.
St. Mary is another example of Boegel and Allodi’s classical design using modern materials. The Gothic design incorporates ashlar and limestone, a traditional rose window. The sanctuary ceiling is wood with stained glass from Ireland. The only mention in the awards description to a more modern material is the use of Waylite blocks, a type of concrete block created in the 1930s.
St. Theresa’s Church remains an imposing presence in this relatively low-rise and residential section of Woodside. The design is traditionally Romanesque with little in the way of modern detailing. The materials used are buff brick with limestone detailing and a tile roof. The interior includes marble and limestone and is completely fireproof. The neighboring school closed in 2005.