LaPierre Litchfield and Partners | Honorable Mention | Extant | Jamaica Estates | Bank | 1958 |
This one story bank is a stripped-down version of the Colonial Revival. The Georgian and Colonial styles were popular revivals in the 1950s and 60s, continuing to be even more popular around the Bicentennial in 1976. But unlike more high-style versions such as the Queens County Savings Banks in Kew Gardens Hills and Little Neck, here the building only nods to the style with a tiny cupola and brickface.
Skidmore Owings and Merrill | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Jamaica Estates | Bank | 1971 |
Designed by the prolific firm of Skidmore Owings and Merrill, this one-story bank branch has a long wall of white travertine panels facing Hillside Avenue. Originally this wall was unrelieved but a set of doors have since been added. The building is topped by a striking, geometric roofline of double tees. Both ends of the building are enclosed in a full glass wall and a now-closed drive through teller window is located on the interior side wall.
Spindler, Charles M. | Honorable Mention | Extant | Jamaica Estates | Religious Building | 1954 |
This convent is part of a much larger religious complex in Jamaica Estates. The convent is built into a hillside below the rest of the complex with the main school building immediately behind it on Dalny Road. The church itself (also an award winner) and rambling monastery are situated on the other side of the campus. The convent has a stone first floor base with two floors above of beige brick. It is unclear if the building is still used as a convent, although it was as late as 2005.