Halsey McCormack and Helmer | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Jamaica | Bank | 1957 |
A traditional Georgian Revival bank building by a firm known for its bank design. The Awards program is surprisingly amusing in its description of the design stating “…the Richmond Hill Savings Bank tends to exert a subtle influence of traditional New Englad morality and sound character in this Queens community.” It goes on further to state “…it presents a charming picture which, in a quiet way, may serve to temper any tendencies toward extremes of architecture in future neighborhood construction.
Salkowitz, A. H. | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Woodside | Bank | 1960 |
The Woodside Savings and Loan is now an Astoria Federal Savings and the clock adorning the white enameled brick end pier is different but otherwise this building is largely the same. The front facade consists of a large two story wall of glass with white enamel brick and porcelain panel accents. The planting area originally to the right of the entrance seems to be gone; parking is in the rear.
Wuest and Bailey | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Extant | Long Island City | Bank | 1956 |
The simple brick and glass facade of this branch is of Astoria Federal is still extant although extended another lot along the streetwall. The interior originally featured a large mural of Manhattan. The award program specifically calls out Muzak as a special feature, undoubtably a rarity this time.
LaPierre Litchfield and Partners | Honorable Mention | Extant | Jamaica Estates | Bank | 1958 |
This one story bank is a stripped-down version of the Colonial Revival. The Georgian and Colonial styles were popular revivals in the 1950s and 60s, continuing to be even more popular around the Bicentennial in 1976. But unlike more high-style versions such as the Queens County Savings Banks in Kew Gardens Hills and Little Neck, here the building only nods to the style with a tiny cupola and brickface.
Abrahams, Charles | Bronze Plaque for Rehabilitation | Extant | Woodhaven | Bank | 1954 |
This bank building was created through the rehabilitation of a three story commercial building with the existing two story bank next door all running along Jamaica Avenue under the elevated train line. Next to this along Woodhaven Boulevard was added a one-story annex. All the building were reclad in a combination of limestone and granite with marble accents. The window lines are recessed, giving this structure a classical slant. A small clock is placed above the recessed corner entrance.