Boegel, William J. | Bronze Plaque for Religious Buildings | Extant | Woodside | Religious Building | 1952 |
St. Theresa’s Church remains an imposing presence in this relatively low-rise and residential section of Woodside. The design is traditionally Romanesque with little in the way of modern detailing. The materials used are buff brick with limestone detailing and a tile roof. The interior includes marble and limestone and is completely fireproof. The neighboring school closed in 2005.
Raymond Irrera Associates | Bronze Plaque for Public Buildings | Extant | Queens Village | Public Building | 1952 |
The Queens Village branch of the Queens Public Library features a concrete structure clad in brick, limestone and granite with aluminum windows and doors. Architectural detailing is relegated to the area around the entrance– originally the Seal of New York was featured above the door, but was subsequently removed. When originally built a low decorative fence, most likely of aluminum, surrounded the property. This has been replaced with a tall, imposing iron fence.
Rahman and Astor | Honorable Mention | Extant | Long Island City | Industrial Building | 1951 |
The J. A. Brudermann and Sons building is most likely the smallest building to receive a Queens Chamber award. The size of a small garage, the masonry structure was built for a plumbing supply company. The structure still exists today but has most likely never been noted as an award-winning building by passersby.