Neumann, Herbert W. with Ryder, Alfred H. | Bronze Plaque for Rehabilitations and Alterations | Significantly Altered | Jamaica | Office Building | 1965 |
The rehabilitation of this office building consisted of recladding the first floor in white granite and adding porcelain enamel panels of blue and white to the upper floors. The building also included newly designed stylized signage including the company’s blue gas flame, a projecting blue and white sign, and blue lettering above the new central entrance. Today the building has been completely stripped of all decorative elements and paneling, although the white granite at the base is still visible around the side entrances.
Levien, Maurice B. with Rhatigan, Richard T. | Bronze Plaque for Banks | Significantly Altered | Douglaston | Bank | 1965 |
Situated on the upper deck of a two-tiered shopping center, originally the building had a range of facade materials including pine log stone or pinola (a common veneer stone), white glazed brick, aluminum windows, and fieldstone details. Today the structure holds a Burger King restaurant and is completely unrecognizable from its days as a bank. There is a small area of pinola along the base of the building by the entrance which could be remnant of the previous design.
Heller, Simeon with Meltzer, George J. | Bronze Plaque for Rehabilitations and Alterations | Significantly Altered | Jamaica | Bank | 1963 |
Not the only Queens Modern winner to be converted into a discount store, this former bank branch is now largely obscured by awnings and unfortunate painting over of much of the Regal Blue and Alabama White marble on the front facade. Passerby can mostly identify the building by the still prominent flagpoles at the roofline and the metal grill above the door. The interior had teak paneling (now gone) and an acoustic tile ceiling with recessed lighting, which is still visible in the commercial space. This project won an award as a combining and rehabilitation of two existing buildings and not as a new structure.
Barbanel and Levien | Bronze Plaque for Alterations | Significantly Altered | Jackson Heights | Office Building | 1962 |
This former New York City government office building is today barely recognizable under layers of signage as a 99 cents discount store with a daycare center on the upper floor. The project that received an award was not the initial construction in 1958 but rather an alteration in 1962 to add an additional floor as well as a second entrance and elevator. White brick, glass and aluminum are the main materials here. Sitting immediately adjacent to the elevated subway line, it is hard to see the building in full or appreciate the elements of modern design that were so striking when it was originally built.
Fellheimer and Wagner | Honorable Mention | Significantly Altered | Long Island City | Bank | 1955 |
This one-story bank still sits at the beginning of Queens Boulevard, sited by itself along the road with a large expanse of parking behind it. The orientation has changed with the entrance moved to the other side of the building and all original details are now obscured or removed.