St. John’s Chapel at St. John’s Cemetery is a modern take on a gothic structure. The small, 160-seat chapel is immediately adjacent to the cemetery’s administration building inside the main Victorian-era entrance gates at 80th Street and Metropolitan Avenue. The building is clad in granite and limestone and features several limestone carvings above the front entrance as well as on a tower at the rear of the building. The interior includes modern figurative stained glass and wood interior detailing including decorative painted details on the ceiling trusses. The metal steeple on the small tower adjacent to the main structure is of a more modern design seen on buildings of this era.
This rectory is designed as a traditional Georgian Revival residence, clad in brick with limestone trim, wood dormers and cornice, and a shingle roof. The design was intentional to harmonize with the church, school, and offices across the street. The rectory replaced an outdated structure which was subsequently demolished.
This neo-Gothic structure has been lovingly maintained by its congregation since construction, it sits on an irregularly shaped parcel presenting its main entrance on a small triangular open space. The exterior walls are granite stone with limestone trim and the steep roof is tiled in slate. The cross on the top is gold, although tarnished. The sanctuary is open and airy with Douglas fir paneling and trusses and the walls remain painted in a bright pastel as originally designed.
This convent is part of a much larger religious complex in Jamaica Estates. The convent is built into a hillside below the rest of the complex with the main school building immediately behind it on Dalny Road. The church itself (also an award winner) and rambling monastery are situated on the other side of the campus. The convent has a stone first floor base with two floors above of beige brick. It is unclear if the building is still used as a convent, although it was as late as 2005.
This convent fits well into the larger Gothic Revival religious complex of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs. The school dates from 1929, the church itself from 1939. All have stone facades with slate roofs, giving a unified appearance. The convent’s principal facade faces into the complex and is situated next to the rectory. It can be recognized by the large statue of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs inside a niche. The convent was originally designed for up to 24 Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. As with many secondary religious buildings from this time such as monasteries and convents, it is unclear if this is still serves the same purpose today.