Immaculate Conception Church remains a presence in this part of Astoria–its sprawling complex includes school buildings, a convent, and rectory. The church alone received this award for its prominent corner building with striking bell tower. The parish dates back to 1924, created to address the booming Catholic population in Astoria. Originally services were held in the school building’s basement. Ground was broken for the new church in 1949. McGill was a prolific church architect and a favorite of the Brooklyn Diocese at this time.
The American Hospital Supply Corporation building presents an intriguing public face. The facade of the building gives the impression of a modern take on a Gothic Revival gatehouse with a metal gated entrance portico above of which is placed a prominent bow window. The roofline of the central section ends in a peaked roof and the whole section is faced in concrete made to look like stone. Extending from the entrance are two wings covered in a patterned brick face above a stone veneer.