Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Church dates from 1873 and had an elaborate French Gothic facade added in 1915 to designs of Thomas Henry Poole. The large school and convent next door however are comparitively fairly restrained. Both buildings are clad in yellow brick and have minimal detailing. Architect William Boegel tended to keep his designs somewhat spartan or traditional. The main decoration on the school (now covered by contemporary signage) is a large cross over the entrance, rising two stories in limestone.
This bank building was created through the rehabilitation of a three story commercial building with the existing two story bank next door all running along Jamaica Avenue under the elevated train line. Next to this along Woodhaven Boulevard was added a one-story annex. All the building were reclad in a combination of limestone and granite with marble accents. The window lines are recessed, giving this structure a classical slant. A small clock is placed above the recessed corner entrance.
The Kew Gardens Hills branch of the Queens County Savings Bank is a high-style interpretation of Philadelphia’s Independence Hall. Like that building, this one is a two-story brick structure with a central six-segment central tower. The details are also similar to Independence Hall, with the tower incorporating four clock faces, a cupola, spire, and weathervane. The main building has wings of two bays wide instead of three like Independence Hall. the interior is decorated with several significant illustrations of American history, most notably a replica of the Liberty Bell inside the lobby. The double-height banking hall has decorative wood paneling, moldings, a decorative cornice, and large reproductions of paintings including Washington Crossing the Delaware and the Signers of the Declaration of Independence behind the teller counter.
This convent is part of a much larger religious complex in Jamaica Estates. The convent is built into a hillside below the rest of the complex with the main school building immediately behind it on Dalny Road. The church itself (also an award winner) and rambling monastery are situated on the other side of the campus. The convent has a stone first floor base with two floors above of beige brick. It is unclear if the building is still used as a convent, although it was as late as 2005.
The Jackson Heights Branch of the Queens Library system was only the second one completed post World War II. It sits on 81st Street just off the commercial cooridor. It was designed by Simeon Heller, the building awards’ longtime chairman who’s own house also won an award the same year. Many of his other buildings have since been demolished so it is interesting to compare these two to get a sense of his design principles. Light seems to be a major focus and there is ample light from both the front and rear of the structure. The front is faced in limestone with prominent aluminum trim. To either side of the entrance are small square windows pierced into the limestone to give light to the circulation stairwells.